Eye Care Services
Best Cataract Surgery operation
MICS (Micro-incision cataract surgery) or Phacoemulsification in which removal of the cataract is done through a 2.8 mm incision with the implantation of foldable intraocular lens is a regular feature in addition to small incision cataract surgery at FitsumBirhan. All kinds of latest and advanced lenses are offered including foldable Trifocal lens, multifocal, the astigmatism correcting Toric IOLs and the combination of the two. The institute has advanced IOL measuring tools, Biometry to reduce any measurement related errors.
Cornea and External Diseases
The cornea is the eye's outermost layer. It is the clear, dome-shaped surface that covers the front of the eye and has a critical role in clear vision.
The Cornea could be affected by any infection agents, usually bacteria, virus and fungus. and it could also be involved in injury. At Fitsum Birhan, we have the capacity to manage the cases of infection and surgically correct and repair corneal tears to a better outcome.
Retina and Vitreous services
The retina is a layer of nerve tissue located at the back of the eye. It functions like the film in a camera, capturing images focused by the structures in the front of the eye.
at our center we provide diagnostic and treatment options for retinal diseases , we use latest devices to take ultrasonic images and secure the proper diagnosis.
Low Vision Service
There are a myriad of eye diseases which either cannot be treated or have failed treatment leading to extremely poor vision affecting the day to day activities of patient and their families. The Service offers these patients the opportunity to make the best possible use of their remaining vision through a comprehensive rehabilitative process. Greatly improves the quality of life for these individuals.Patient undergoes a detailed eye check-up including basic check up such as-
1. Visual acuity ( both distance and near)
2. Contrast sensitivity
3. Visual field, particularly the central visual field used for reading
Glaucoma is characterized by progressive damage to the optic nerve of the eye,
Three conditions has to be fulfilled in order to decide if a person has glaucoma
1.The intra-ocular pressure must rise more than the normal value of 18.5mmhg
2. This raised pressure must press the optic nerve head and cause damage or compression(disc cupping).
3. The damaged optic nerve with a loss of nerve fibers has to result in reduced peripheral vision, your ability to see on the side, or narrowed visual field.
If left untreated, glaucoma can lead to blindness. Those with a family history of glaucoma, Diabetes, Systemic hypertension, thyroid disorders and Myopia are at a higher risk of developing glaucoma. People above the age of 40 years need to undergo routine eye examinations to rule out glaucoma. Glaucoma Service at Fitsum Birhan is dedicated to the care and treatment of people who have glaucoma or are at risk of developing it.
Laser Vision Correction-Lasik
The optic nerve is the means by which the eye and brain communicate and we appreciate this beautiful world. Neuro-Ophthalmology Service at Fitsum Birhan provides assessment of optic nerve and vision reducing brain diseases. In other words illnesses that affect the eye-brain connection are treated at this service. Patients with diseases that cause double vision and ocular manifestations of autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis are also evaluated and treated.
The service regularly deals with patients having
1. Optic neuritis
2. Ischemic optic neuropathy
3. Brain tumors involving the optic nerves or chiasm
4. Transient monocular blindness
5. Strokes that cause visual loss or double vision
6. Migraine with visual symptoms
7. Myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis
8. Mitochondrial disease and muscular disease that affects the eye
9. Unexplained visual loss
The General Ophthalmology service takes care of patients with cataracts and general diseases, performs comprehensive management.
Specifically, the Service provides:
1. Cataract Screenings
2. Comprehensive eye examinations
3. Vision screenings
4. Cataract Surgery
5. Consultations with other subspecialists in ophthalmology based on the need
6. Referrals to specialists in other medical disciplines depending on the persons systemic conditions (such as endocrinologists for persons with diabetes)